History

A vineyard,five generations

  • 1890 : Mr Pierre Robineau, a grocer and draper, decides to buy 2 hectares of vines. One of the parcel is called « le Clos des Forges ».

 

  • 1921 : He gives it to his son Louis Robineau, Hélène Ameline’shusband who will give birth to Helen Robineau.

 

  • 1930 : Death of Louis Robineau. His wife Hélène Ameline will gradually buy other vineyards. She rents the vineyard to her daughter, Helen Robineau, to make her work there. The Vineyard is already rewarded at the Concours Agricole de Paris.  (Gold medal in 1934-1935).

 

  • 1945 : Helen Robineau and her husband René Branchereau own an area of 7 hectares.

 

  • 1970 : Installation of their son Claude Branchereau who gets the entire vineyard in 1975, 10 ha. He works with her wife Raymonde Noyer.

 

  • 1983 : The hard work for quality is rewarded by a Gold Medal in Paris for Anjou Rouge 1982.

 

  • 1986 : Creation of the name Domaine des Forges. Le Clos des Forges is the name of the first plot of vines where the actual winery was built.

 

  • 1988 : Acquisition of vines on the Coteaux du Layon Chaume.

 

  • 1992 : Acquisition of 1.5 acres of vines on Savennières appellation.

 

  • 1996 :  Stéphane, the son of Claude and Raymonde, arrives in the vineyard after a couple of internships in other vineyards (Haut Médoc, Sauternes, and Beaujolais), and with a degree in winemaking and oenology.

 

  • 1997 : Acquisition of 86 acres of Quarts de Chaume.

 

  • 1999 : Development of a new cuvee in Savennières “Le Moulin du Gue.”

 

  • 2000 :Launch of the movement « Loire Renaissance » in Anjou Blanc. (New qualitative approach).

 

  •  2002 : Launch of a new cuvee in red wines: “The 3C of the Domaine des Forges” for the three names Claude, Corentin & Camille (Little Children).

 

  •  2003 : After ten years of “Fighting” Claude Branchereau who was president of the Coteaux du Layon Chaume finally gets from the INAO the name “Chaume 1er Cru des Coteaux du Layon”.

 

  •  2004 : First production in Savennières of the cuvees “Roches aux Moines” and  “Clos du Papillon”.

 

  •  2005 : the barrel warehouse gets air-conditioning, to regulate the temperature of the wine.

 

  •  2008 : restoration of the old cellar.

 

  •  2009 : Expansion of the vineyard in the appellation Chaume (2 Ha 80).

 

  •  2010 : Acquisition of new land on St Aubin for Cabernet.

 

  •  2013: Stéphane and his wife Séverine get the vineyard after Stephane’s parents retired. The vineyard now stretches over 47 Ha.